Over the next few weeks, the school lunchrooms will once again be bursting with loud laughter and children comparing and trading lunchbox treats. As the days get busier with carpooling, work and extracurricular activities, we wanted to share some quick, easy recipes. These delicious recipes are a great way to make sure your kids are eating healthy throughout their school day and afterwards…
Eating healthy foods allows children to stay alert in class, avoid getting sick, maintain mental and physical energy, stay at a healthy weight, and overall just keep them feeling good!
10 Kid-Friendly Healthy Snack and Lunch Recipes for the School Year: The Ultimate Brain Fuel for Students
- Open-faced sandwich using all-natural or organic sliced deli turkey or chicken on whole wheat bread layered with avocado, tomatoes, cucumbers and romaine lettuce
- Almond butter sandwich with sliced bananas sprinkled with flaxseed meal on sprouted bread
- Plain 2% milk or whole milk Greek or regular yogurt with berries, granola and unsweetened, unsulfured shredded coconut
- Low-fat cottage cheese with sliced grape tomatoes, Greek olives, and arugula sprinkled with pine nuts
- Make your own bento box: sliced hard-boiled egg, sliced avocado, whole grain crackers, hummus and pepper slices
- Make your own trail mix of nuts, dried fruit, seeds and whole grain cereal
- Sliced banana with peanut butter
- Sliced apple with cheese
- Guacamole with bean tortilla chips and sliced mini cucumbers
- Leftover chicken breast slices to dip into mustard or barbecue sauce with a sliced plum on the side
- BONUS: Air popped popcorn topped with a touch of extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese along with edamame or sugar snap peas on the side
Parenting has taught us that kids are always hungry. Whether it is during the school day or when they come home. Many of these recipes for the school year are able to be made ahead of time which also saves you some stress. A healthy snack will keep your kids fueled up and their brains ready for learning. Enjoy these yummy recipes!